I’m sure I don’t have to describe what cellulite looks like, as almost 90 percent of all women of all sizes are confronted with it these days. We are willing to try any kind of treatment, cream, supplement or ointment just to avoid our skin to look like an orange peel.
Unfortunately, most treatments and cellulite-reducing products are very expensive. So why spending all your dollars on those treatments if there are other natural and wallet-friendly options for you to choose from?
But let us first take a look at what’s causing cellulite… and how you can take action and stop or slow the process.
What Causes Cellulite?
Cellulite is a condition where the skin is dimpled, wrinkled and pitted due to an imbalance of the underlying fat deposits and connective tissue. The buttocks and thighs are the most affected areas.
It is still not very clear what actually causes cellulite, but studies show the importance of hormones, diet, lifestyle, and genetics.
- Hormones, like estrogen, insulin, noradrenaline, thyroid hormones and prolactin, do play an important role in the production of cellulite.
- Genetics, the presence of certain genes are believed to aid the cellulite forming process.
- People who eat too much fat, carbs, sugar and salt and little fiber are often struggling more with cellulite then people how eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
- Smoking, a lack of exercise and toxin build-up from our unhealthy lifestyle and pollution may lead to cellulite as well.
Our genes and the presence of some hormones is something we can’t change, but there are some ways to help your body get rid of or prevent an orange peel skin.
There isn’t a cure for cellulite but a healthy diet, exercising, detoxifying, exfoliating and basic skin care can reduce its appearance significantly. CLICK HERE to access a 10-day whole food fruit and veggie detox that won’t leave you hungry.
How To Prevent Cellulite
Like many of our ailments, cellulite can be prevented through a healthy lifestyle. Eating healthy, regular exercising, drinking plenty of water, maintaining a healthy weight and reducing stress are all important key factors here.
It is also believed that tight clothing may be a possible cause of cellulite, as they limit your blood flow. Therefore some studies show that wearing thongs, boy shorts, and any other loose-fitting clothing may be beneficial.
4 Amazing Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Cellulite
#1 Coffee Scrub
- ½ cup grounded coffee
- ½ cup white or brown sugar (or sea salt or a combination of both)
- ¼ cup almond oil (or olive oil)
The caffeine has a dilating and stimulating effect on the blood vessels and improves circulation, which helps to tone and tighten your tissues. The Coffee-sugar combination makes it an excellent exfoliate and the oil will soothe, hydrate and nourish your skin.
Mix all ingredients until well combined. Store in an airtight container. Use twice a week under your shower. Give your body a good massage, make circular movements in the target areas (5 to 10 minutes) and then rinse with warm water. Pat dry and apply a natural, moisturizing body lotion.
After 2 to 4 weeks the appearance of cellulite will be reduced and your skin will look firmer and smoother.
#2 Dry Brushing
Just as the coffee scrub, dry brushing stimulates blood and lymph flow and will open up the pores of your skin. It stimulates circulation and promotes detoxification. Gently brush from your feet to your shoulders for 5 minutes. Make long sweeping motions towards your heart. I like to dry brush just before I take a shower, to remove all death cells after the brushing.
It feels great and is something you should do once or twice a day. For a better effect, first rub coconut oil on the target areas and then brush. After 2 to 4 weeks the appearance of cellulite will be reduced and your skin will look firmer and smoother.
Scroll down for more amazing cellulite fighting natural remedies.
#3 Massage And Aromatherapy
Excellent to apply just after you dry brushed you skin and took a shower. Dry brushing enhances the effect of your homemade massage oils. Massage the target areas for several minutes.
Best Essential Oils For Cellulite
- Juniper berry (Juniperus communis) works detoxifying and reduces fluid retention.
- Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), boost blood and lymph circulation.
- Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), reduces fluid retention and works as a hormone balancer.
- Grapefruit (Citrus paradisi), reduces fluid retention and swelling.
Make your Own Aroma-therapeutic Massage Oil
- Choose 2-4 essential oils of your liking.
- Mix 60 drops of the essential oils with 100 ml base oil (3% dilution). There are many base oils for you to choose from. I like sweet almond oil but depending on your skin type you can use other oils as well.
Check out my previous blog post and learn more about base or carrier oils for massage.
- Massage the oil into the affected area. Cellulite can be very sensitive, so be gentile for yourself. Use long sweeping strokes towards your heart to improve circulation and detoxification.
- You could make 2 different blends and use one blend on a daily basis for the first 2-3 weeks and then use another blend.
- Store your oils in a dark glass bottle, away from sunlight and shake before use.
- Do not use essential oils when pregnant.
#4 Seaweed Detox Bath
Seaweed or other herbal detox baths (such as nettle, ivy or Melissa) are an excellent way to detox and re-mineralize your skin. Seaweed acts as a natural sponge and draws toxins out of your body through your skin. On top of that, it has a calming effect on your mind. So treat yourself once in a while and reap the benefits for mind and body.
There are 2 options for you to try:
Either you can buy seaweed flakes and boil a large spoonful for 30 minutes. Then strain water from the flakes and add the water to your bathtub. Or boil the flakes in an old nylon stocking and thrown both the water and stocking with the flakes in your tub.
Another option is to use fresh seaweed if you live near an ocean. Only use seaweed from the ocean not what is washed up on shore. Add to your bathtub and remove before draining.
Soak for at least 20 to 25 minutes in warm/hot water. It stimulates your body to eliminate toxins and other waste products and reduces the appearance of cellulite. Some people like to take a medium hot shower, just after a detox bath, to make sure all toxins are removed from their skin.
As you can see those aren’t difficult to make and won’t cost you a fortune! Take the best care of your body by applying natural ingredients to your skin and start using those homemade remedies instead of expensive store-bought anti-cellulite products with a lot of harsh chemicals.
Those were 4 of my personal homemade remedies I like and use. Do you have other all-natural anti-cellulite remedies that worked well for you in the past or want to share your experiences? Please, let us know your thoughts in the comment box below.
Thanks for reading. I hope this information was helpful. Until next time!
Crazy cat lady, life and food lover, certified biologist, and holistic health coach.