What a better way to relax body and mind on a cold winter’s day than to soak in a steamy bath. Perfect to warm and relax your tired muscles and have some you-time. Use this simple bath salt recipe to give your bath that bit more.
Bath salts are easy and inexpensive to make and are a great gift for family and friends!
Funky Bath Salt Recipe
- 1 cup Epsom Salts
- 2 cups coarse sea salt
- ⅓ cup baking soda (optional)
- Resealable plastic bag
- Food coloring
- Your favorite essential oil(s)
- Baking sheet
- Jar or container
- Combine the Epsom salt and sea salt into a plastic bag with just a few drops of food coloring to start with. Close the bag and toss to coat the salts with your favorite color (or divide salt mixture and use different colors), repeat this process a few times until you’ve got the desired color. It is important to add the coloring in small steps. If you add more your salts may dissolve.
- Do the same thing with the essential oil(s) until you reach the perfect scent. I always use between 10-20 drops.
- Before storing them spread the salts on a baking sheet and allow them to dry for a few minutes.
- Add the baking soda and toss gently to combine (optional)
- Carefully pour the salt into a jar, use a funnel if necessary and screw the lid tightly to keep the moisture out and preserve its fragrance.
How to use
Fill up your tub, add 1 cup of the bath salts and relax…. The salts will soothe tired muscles and reduce inflammation, the baking soda, on the other hand, softens the water and eases skin irritations.
Use your favorite essential oil(s) to calm body and mind. I love the calming fragrance of ylang-ylang, rose, and lavender or the more uplifting effect of oils like eucalyptus and peppermint.
Floral scents like rose, ylang-ylang, lavender, and lilac will help you to distress. Stronger scents like eucalyptus, peppermint, and citrus will sharpen your senses and help you to focus. Create your own unique smell with the oils you like the most. I always apply the different scents on separate cotton buds and hold them together under my nose to see which combinations work well.
Note: If you use bath salts too often it may dry your skin. So after soaking, make sure to apply a moisturizing body lotion.
Check out my previous blog post and to make your own eco-friendly and cruelty-free body lotion.
- Make several batches in different colors and layer them in the jar. To create swirls, tip the jar in different directions while pouring the layers of salt.
- If you use different scents for your layers, make sure they’re compatible.
- You could make a wellness gift basket. Check out the eco-beauty section for more homemade wellness products.
ALSO READ: 4 Detox Bath Recipes To Cleanse Your Body
What’s your favorite bath salt recipe to relax body and mind? Share it with us in the comment box below.
Thanks for reading. I hope this information was helpful. Until next time!
Crazy cat lady, life and food lover, certified biologist, and holistic health coach.