Calzone with Spinach
A thin, flavorful, homemade pizza crust wrapped around a tasty filling of spinach, veggies, and cheese. Pure comfort food.
- 1 pizza dough for 2 small pizzas (or 1 big to share) scroll down to notes if making your own
- 1 cup carrot small cubes
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2-1 cup bell pepper (capsicum, any color) finely chopped
- 3 cups tomato chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup water (or if you don't mind, red wine for more flavor)
- 4 cups spinach shredded
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Heat coconut or olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute onion for 2 minutes, then add garlic and cook until onions are soft.
- Add carrot and bell pepper, cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper, and water. Simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes, or until tomatoes turned into sauce-like consistency.
- Add spinach and cook for 5 minutes uncovered. Make sure the sauce is not too moist. Cook a bit longer to remove most liquid if needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 F or 200 C.
- Add filling and cheese to one half of the pizza dough and fold. Repeat for second calzone.
- Bake calzones for 10-15 minutes or until browned.
Click here for the authentic pizza dough recipe.
- Semi-Vegetarian: What is Flexitarian or Semi-vegetarianism?
- Health Tip: Garlic
- The Importance of Leafy Greens in Your Diet
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 819mg | Potassium: 1457mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g