My previous post was all about making your own shampoo. For one of the recipes, you need coconut milk. Here’s a super-easy recipe to make your own.
Coconut milk is such a wonderful product, but sadly most store-bought versions contain BPA, sweeteners, and preservatives. And the better variations are quite expensive. So why not make this wonderful product yourself? It is easy, doesn’t consume a lot of your time and is very cheap, less than $ 1 for a whole batch.
Coconut For Health
Coconuts are among the healthiest food sources on earth. They are rich in manganese, copper, selenium, calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin C, B6, thiamin, folate, healthy medium-chain fatty acids and the list goes on.
They are an excellent dairy replacement for people with food allergies and a healthy fat replacement for people on a raw, GAPS or Paleo diet. Its oil is perfect for high-temperature cooking and helps us to reduce cholesterol and lose weight. Coconut water has the same mineral and electrolyte profile as human blood plasma.
But coconut is not only great as a food source, it can be used in many eco-beauty products as well. So as you can see, adding more coconut to your life is extremely good for your body.
Homemade Coconut Milk
The homemade coconut milk made from dried coconut is richer in those essential nutrients then coconut milk bought in the grocery store. So let’s make this high-quality product and discover how easy the process is.
What you’ll need
- 2 cups of unsweetened, organic desiccated coconut
- 3 ½ cups hot filtered
- Heat the water until hot but not scalding.
- Put the coconut flakes and water in a blender and blend at high speed for a couple of minutes. The mixture should have a thick, creamy consistency.
- Pour through a colander first, to remove most of the coconut flakes.
- Then squeeze through a fine-mesh sieve, towel, cheesecloth or nut milk bag to get rid of all the remaining coconut pieces. As you strain, push down the coconut shreds to push out all the good stuff.
- Use immediately or store in your fridge for up to 4 days. The cream in the coconut milk may separate again when stored, so shake before use.
- As an option, to add more flavor, you can add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 6 drops of stevia.
Coconut Making Tips
- You can repeat the steps more times, reusing the shredded coconut. Although to more you reuse them the more watery your milk will get. It is up to you.
- If you prefer a thicker consistency, use less water. To make it thinner use more water or as said above reuse the shredded coconut.
- I prefer to strain through a fine-mesh sieve, this allows more of the healthy oils to end up in your milk.
- Store your fresh coconut milk in the fridge in an airtight container.
And that’s how simple it is to make your own coconut milk. Enjoy your next cup of creamy coconut flavored coffee or smoothie. Use it in your wok dishes to add a wonderful flavor or use it in your homemade eco-beauty recipes. There are so plenty of options to use coconut milk.
Did you already try to make some or do you have some wonderful recipes containing coconut milk? Please share your thoughts and experiences with us in the comment box below!
Thanks for reading. I hope this information was helpful. Until next time!
Crazy cat lady, life and food lover, certified biologist, and holistic health coach.