Next to its nutritional content, coconut oil is well known for its many health benefits. Moreover, it has been used as a traditional medicine by Asian and Pacific populations for ages. Further, these days a lot of research has been done to unravel the healing properties of coconuts.
According to some sources, coconut water could fight the aging process, lower cholesterol, and blood pressure. Additionally, it has the same hydrating effect as drinking water. But not only the coconut water has a lot of health benefits, its oil can be used in the kitchen or many DIY Beauty products.
Coconut Or Olive Oil?
Why should you consider cooking all your dishes with this healthy alternative to olive oil? Well, recent studies are showing that coconut oil is one of the best cooking oils on Earth. Moreover, it can withstand higher temperatures than olive oil and therefore the chance that the oil will go rancid is very small. Further, when oils with a lower smoke point go rancid, free radicals are formed. However, those free radicals can damage our body and can cause cancer or speed up the aging process.
Additionally, you’ve probably all been told a thousand times that saturated fats are bad for your health and lead to all sorts of diseases. But why is it that the number of Americans who suffer from cardiovascular diseases, obesity, high cholesterol, and Alzheimer’s has been rising? And this to while they made the switch to hydrogenated polyunsaturated oils.
However, the answer is simple. And it is that the corn, soy, and vegetable oil industry invested a lot of money to give coconut oil a bad reputation. Along with this, the poor coconut producing countries didn’t have the money to prove them wrong. But at last, coconut oil is regaining some of its glory.
But what exactly are the benefits of coconut oil?
Saturated fat in coconut oil
Studies on Asian and Pacific Islanders, where the intake of coconut oil is high, show that there are almost no cardiovascular diseases or people with high levels of cholesterol. Moreover, coconut oil has unique health benefits due to its rarely found saturated fat called lauric acid.
Furthermore, lauric acid is a small type of fat and is easily absorbed and almost instantly used as an energy source. So, not all saturated fats are bad for our health. You should avoid the so-called trans-fats. Additionally, those are also saturated fats but they are artificially manipulated through hydrogenation. Even the hydrogenation is a heating process and makes the oil rancid.
Scroll down and discover more amazing coconut oil benefits!
What are the five main health benefits of coconut oil?
- Increased immunity due to anti-microbial properties. As a matter of fact, coconut oil has antiviral, antibacterial and anti-protozoa benefits. And our body converts lauric acid into another compound called monolaurin that helps the body fight the little invaders.
- It protects the heart and prevents diseases such as high cholesterol and high blood pressure. Moreover, lauric acid increases the good cholesterol and promotes the conversion to another compound called pregnenolone, which is used by our body to make hormones.
- Keeps weight in balance by boosting your metabolism. Coconut oil is rich in medium-sized fats, where most other vegetable or seed oils are larger. Moreover, those larger molecules are more difficult for the body to break down and they will be stored as fat. Further, the medium sized fats are digested easily and instead of storing fat, our body uses it to produce energy.
- Using coconut oil shows great results when dealing with various stomach and digestive problems. Vitamins, minerals, and amino acid are better absorbed. Moreover, lauric acid helps us fight viruses, fungi, bacteria, etc that cause indigestion.
- Coconut oil can be used as a massage oil or DIY, all-natural cosmetics, it is a good moisturizer for all types of skin and helps premature aging of the skin.
We, mostly, cook with coconut oil at our home or ghee if we need to add more flavor. Which oil do you use to cook your meals?
ALSO READ: Refined Coconut Oil vs Virgin Coconut Oil
Thanks for reading. I hope this information was helpful. Until next time!
Crazy cat lady, life and food lover, certified biologist, and holistic health coach.