Although it is best to have a 30 to 45-minute workout session every day if you are like most people you don’t always have this time available. But did you know that breaking up your exercises in short burst activities during the day is as good as having your daily longer sessions?
The more you move during the day, the better! So get out the all-or-nothing mindset that unless you work out for at least 30 minutes, they’re a waste of time. But don’t get me wrong here, those short burst exercises are not meant to replace your regular exercise routine. They are simply a way of sneaking more movement into your overscheduled day.
ALSO READ: 15 tips stay healthy busy schedule
Here are my 20 favorite ways to sneak more movement into my busy schedule
- Take the steps instead of the elevator.
- Squat while you brush your teeth.
- 5-10 minutes of jumping jacks.
- Tone your arms with standing push-ups while cooking. Stand an arm’s length from your countertop and push in and out while you are waiting for the water to boil.
- Walk or take your bike to work if you can.
- Do planks or jog in place during commercials.
- Go outside with your kids and play tag or shoot.
- Go for a family walk in the park and take a frisbee, soccer ball, or baseball.
- Put on your favorite music and dance like you’re sixteen again.
- When you get up in the morning, do a few rounds of sun salutations or a 10-minute stretch session.
- If you are taking the bus to work, get off 2 stops early and walk home.
- While your child plays soccer, tennis, baseball, attends music class or any other activity walk around the field or building while waiting.
- Clean the house vigorously with lots of exaggerated movements. Or put your favorite music on.
- While chatting on the phone, get on your feet and walk around.
- When shopping, park your car far from the store entrance and carry your groceries.
- Do a few rounds of hula hoop or jump rope.
- On breaks, walk around the building or climb some stairs. Get on your feet as much as possible.
- Replace TV-time with outdoor activities like a walk in the park or outdoor fun with your children.
- Suggest walking meetings.
- Walk or cycle for short trips instead of taking the car.
How do you get extra movement into your day? All tips are welcome in the comment box below.
Thanks for reading. I hope this information was helpful. Until next time!
Crazy cat lady, life and food lover, certified biologist, and holistic health coach.