Chickpea Curry with Broccoli, Spinach and Carrots
Ever since becoming a vegan and moving to SE-Asia, chickpea curries have been a staple dish at our home. You can add whichever veggies you love or have left in the fridge. Easy, yummy and vegan!
For the curry paste
- 1.5 inch fresh ginger 1-inch = 1tbsp fresh grated = 1 tsp powder
- 1/2 cup onion roughly chopped
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 cup tomato roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili paste (or chili pepper) or to taste, seed removed
For the curry
- 1 cup carrot sliced
- 2.5 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas (½ cup dried = 1.5 cup cooked = 1 15 oz can drained)
- 2 tbsp garam masala or curry powder (scroll down to the notes if making your own mix)
- 2 cups spinach shredded
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 lime/lemon juice only (use less if using lemon, ½ lime = 1 tbsp)
- 2-3 tbsp sesame seeds toasted
- Combine all curry paste ingredients in a blender. Process until a smooth paste.
- In a large pot, heat cooking oil over medium-high heat (we used extra virgin coconut oil for added flavor). Fry garam masala and turmeric, while constantly stirring, until fragrant. This will take about 30 seconds.
- Add the curry paste and stir well. Then add broccoli, carrots, and water. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Last 5 minutes, add spinach and chickpeas and cook until spinach has wilted and chickpeas are heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a dry pan toast sesame seeds.
- Finish the curry with a squeeze of lime and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Our garam masala mix: 1 tsp ground coriander seeds, 1 tsp ground cumin seeds, 1 tsp ground fennel seeds, 1 tsp ground mustard seeds, and a pinch of cardamom powder.
- Sesame seeds make a lovely addition to many dishes. We add them to salads, stir-fries, curries, etc. Feel free to roast/toast a bigger batch and store in the fridge in an airtight container. Can be stored for a few weeks or longer.
- Benefits of Sesame Seeds and Sesame Oil
- Homemade Coconut Milk: The Easy Way
- Chickpea 101: How To Soak, Sprout, Cook, and Freeze Chickpeas
Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 502mg | Potassium: 1124mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 9g