Roasted Chickpea Kale Salad with Garlicky Dressing
A hearty, quick salad of chickpeas roasted with turmeric until perfection. Combined with kale and a honey garlic yogurt dressing. Just yum!
For the chickpea salad
- 4 cups kale shredded
- 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas (½ cup dried = 1.5 cup cooked = 1 15 oz can drained)
- 1 small head garlic
- 1 tsp garam masala or curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
For the dressing
- 1 lime/lemon juice only (use less if using lemon, ½ lime = 1 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/honey
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp plain unsweetened yogurt
- Peel apart garlic cloves but leave the skin on.
- Preheat oven to 375°F or 190°C.
- Add cooked chickpeas to a mixing bowl and toss with oil and seasonings.
- Add garlic cloves and seasoned chickpeas to a baking sheet. Drizzle garlic with a little bit of cooking oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the chickpeas are slightly crispy and golden brown. The garlic should be fragrant and slightly browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Squeeze garlic out of skins and add to a mixing bowl. Add all remaining dressing ingredients and whisk vigorously to combine, smashing the garlic with the whisk or fork. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired, adding more lemon for brightness and maple syrup for sweetness. Set aside.
- Add kale to a large mixing bowl. Before adding dressing, add a little of the dressing to the kale and massage with hands to soften the texture and lessen the bitterness. Then add as much dressing as desired and mix with a spoon.
- Top with chickpeas and serve. Keeps in the fridge for a few days.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 0.1mg | Sodium: 767mg | Potassium: 99mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 5g