Mexican Chicken Quinoa Bowl
This Mexican Chicken Quinoa Bowl is super easy to make, naturally gluten-free, and yummilicious.
- 10 oz skinless boneless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces.
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1.5 cup bell pepper (capsicum, any color) finely chopped
- 3/4 cup onion chopped
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 3/4 cup cooked or canned black beans (½ cup dried = 1.5 cup cooked = 1 15 oz can drained)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups tomato chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- cayenne pepper to taste
- Heat cooking oil in a big saucepan/pot over medium-high heat. Cook chicken pieces until lightly browned. While cooking, season with cumin, paprika powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Stir constantly. Transfer to a plate or bowl.
- In the same pot/pan, add a little cooking oil. Stir in onion and garlic. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the quinoa, water, cooked chicken, black beans, tomatoes, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a gentle boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. The liquid should be fully absorbed.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0.03g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 655mg | Potassium: 1324mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 10g