Toast With Lemony Pea Mash
Fresh, delicious and healthy spread the whole family will love. Yummy on toast or served with veggie sticks or pita bread.
- 1 clove garlic (small) minced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tsp lemon or lime zest grated
- 1/2 lime/lemon juice only, or to taste (use less if using lemon)
- 1/4 cup water
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Combine garlic, parsley, olive oil, salt, and water in a small saucepan. Add peas and cook over medium heat, until peas are tender. This will take about 5 minutes for fresh peas or about 2 minutes for frozen. Stir occasionally. When ready, drain, reserving cooking liquid.
- Transfer pea mixture to a food processor and pulse until coarse paste forms. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and black pepper. Stir in the reserved cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls until mixture is still thick but spreadable.
- Season pea mash with salt, black pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired.
- Pea mash can be made 1-2 days ahead. Cover and chill. Add chili flakes or chili paste for a spicy variation.
- Feel free to make a little bit more of the pea spread; leftovers can be eaten with veggie sticks as a healthy midmorning or afternoon snack.
- Discover The Top 10 Health Benefits Of Drinking Warm Lemon Water In The Morning
- Protein Powder Health Risks: Why You REALLY Shouldn’t Use Protein Powders
- 3 Key Nutrients That Vegetarians Must Be Mindful Of To Avoid Nutrient Deficiency
Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 459mg | Potassium: 361mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 11g