Leek Pasta with Walnut Parsley Pesto
A quick and yummy weeknight dinner the whole family will love. The walnut parsley pesto was just delicious and a welcome variation to the tradition basil pesto.
For the pesto:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 lime/lemon juice only (use less if using lemon)
- sea salt
For the pasta:
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 4 cups leek chopped
- 2 cups Chinese cabbage chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- thin spaghetti of your choice (GF if needed)
- In a large skillet, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Saute onion for 3 minutes, add leeks and Chinese cabbage. Cook for 10 minutes more (or until soft). Season with thyme, pepper and salt. Sir regularly.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to the package in lightly salted water.
- Blend all pesto ingredients until smooth.
- Combine pasta, leek mix, and pesto. Give it a good stir and serve.
- Note: if too dry, add a little splash of pasta cooking water.
- Optional: add crushed walnuts on top for extra crunch.
Calories: 705kcal | Carbohydrates: 76g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 640mg | Potassium: 757mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 12g