Going the keto way as a vegetarian isn’t all that difficult especially when you are committed to maintaining a balanced keto regime which includes exercising. For newbies, it can be a bit difficult to make the switch to a keto diet especially if you are used to eating fruits and vegetables
I myself found it difficult making the switch as I always craved for a more crunchy meal every now and then. This leads to a series of research to find a more satisfying meal which leads to the discovery of the vegetarian keto club salad.
What is the vegetarian ketogenic diet?
A vegetarian ketogenic diet is one that is high in fat and low in carbohydrates. The body prefers to burn carbohydrates as fuel instead of fat as carbohydrates provide the body with the insane amount of energy compared to fat. When you go on a keto diet, you basically reduce your carbohydrate intake and increase your fat consumption forcing your body to go into a state of ketosis. When in ketosis, the body utilize more fat since there is a low intake of carbohydrate which leads to weight loss.
Some example of vegetarian keto diet includes
– The vegetarian keto club salad
– Roasted eggplant lasagna with spinach potato
– Blueberry soy cheesecake with granola crust.
– Tofu and strawberry smoothie
– Spinach and mushroom frittata
The guidelines for a moderate ketogenic diet
There are a variety of vegetarian keto diet foods available and the best forms are the one that limits daily carbohydrate intake to a minimum of 20grams. If you are looking to lose weight faster, then you most likely will need to reduce your carbs intake by slightly less than 20grams daily, this can be a bit difficult for most people at the beginning of ketosis as they just find it difficult to maintain a low carb diet for a long period of time.
If you stick to a moderate keto meal plan, then you stand a better chance of achieving your weight loss goals in the shortest possible time.
Below is a detailed nutritional guideline to follow to reach your weight loss goal even faster.
• Daily carbohydrate intake: less than 40grams
• Daily fiber consumption: less than 30grams
• Daily fat consumption: 60 to 70 grams
• Daily calorie intake: 1,300 to 1,400
Maintaining the guideline above is easier said than done as I myself have had my fair share of setbacks where I tend to consume more fruits and veggies which affect my ketosis. The best way to deal with such cravings is to reduce the portion of fruits, veggies and other proteins to the barest minimum. If possible, try and create a once or twice a week schedule where you satisfy your cravings by eating small amounts of foods high in carbohydrates and proteins just to keep the cravings at bay.
ALSO READ: Healthy Fats You Should Be Consuming
Scroll down to get the club salad recipe.
The Vegetarian Keto Club Salad
The vegetarian keto club salad is a high-calorie salad with rich dressing and cheese. It contains high amounts of fat and a little bit of protein which makes it a perfect meal either for lunch or dinner. The vegetarian keto club salad is high in fat and low in carbohydrate which helps keep you in ketosis and leads to weight loss. Although it contains a moderate amount of protein, the high-fat content of this recipe makes up for the protein content.
A serving of vegetarian Keto Club Salad provides you with about
– 330 calories
– 26.4 grams of fat
– 4.8 grams of carbs
– 16.8 grams of protein
– Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
– Cook time: 20 – 30 minutes
– Total time: 40 – 50 minutes
If you are already used to preparing the vegetarian keto club salad, then you can get it done in a lesser time compared to the total time outlined above.
The vegetarian club salad is a three-course meal
The vegetarian club salad is a ketogenic cuisine that helps in ketosis.
The preparation below is for 3-servings
The calories per serving = 330
– 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
– 2 tablespoons of sour cream
– Half teaspoon of garlic powder
– Half teaspoon of onion powder
– 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
– 1 tablespoon of milk
– 4 ounce of cheddar cheese in cube form
– 3 large boiled eggs sliced
– 3 cups of romaine lettuce preferably torn to pieces.
– Half cup of halved cherry tomatoes
– 1 cup of diced cucumber
– 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
• Cooking Instructions
1. Mix the sour cream, dried herbs, and mayonnaise until thoroughly mixed to get your dressing ready.
2. Add a tablespoon of milk to the dressing and then mix. If the dressing seems a bit thick, you can add another tablespoon of milk. If you happen to add an additional tablespoon of milk, you will need to add it to your final carb/fat/protein count above.
3. Use your fresh veggies, sliced eggs, and cheese to form a layer on your salad and add a spoonful of Dijon mustard in the middle.
4. You can then drizzle with the already made dressing with about 2 tablespoons per serving, and then toss to cover.
Tips for vegetarian ketogenic diet
To get the best out of your ketogenic diet, you need to
– Reset your sleep schedule to give your body enough time to process meals and perform optimally. This is important especially if you don’t get enough sleep at night. A minimum of 6 hours of sleep is advisable daily.
– Exercise also helps in speeding the number of calories your burn which helps in building your body and in weight loss.
The vegetarian keto club salad contains the right amount of carbs, protein, and fats to help you maintain a steady keto state and is a must-have if you need a keto diet that is filling.
If you have further questions or would like to share additional information with me, feel free to make use of the comment section, and if you find this information useful endeavor to share it with others so they can learn a thing or two.
My name is Layla and I’m a writer at Howtonight.com – lifestyle blog which mostly focuses on health and nutrition but we also publish articles related to pets, travel, and entertainment.
Thanks for reading. I hope this information was helpful. Until next time!
Crazy cat lady, life and food lover, certified biologist, and holistic health coach.