Chicken Broccoli Pasta with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto
A yummy weeknight dinner made in 30 minutes or less. Though we used home-dried tomatoes, store-bought will do just fine. Just make sure they are from a reliable brand with the least additives and preservatives added.
For the pasta
- 2 cups uncooked tricolor pasta (or gluten-free alternative)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 8-9 oz skinless boneless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces or thin stripes
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 2 tbsp raw unsalted cashew nuts (optional) chopped (raw or roasted)
For the pesto
- 1/4 cup pine nuts raw or roasted
- 3 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1.5 oz Parmesan cheese
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Steam/cook broccoli until tender. About 7-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add all pesto ingredients to a small blender or food processor. Blend until smooth paste (or use mortar and pestle instead).
- Transfer steamed broccoli to a bowl and set aside. Keep the cooking water.
- Cook pasta in broccoli cooking water according to the instructions on the package.
- In the meantime, heat cooking oil, in a large skillet or pot, over medium heat. Stir in onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until browned. Season with salt, and pepper to taste.
- Then add cooked broccoli and cook, while stirring, until heated through.
- When ready, combine cooked and drained pasta with veggies and pesto. Add a little of the cooking water too if too dry. Stir well and serve with roasted pine nuts and parsley on top.
Calories: 761kcal | Carbohydrates: 65g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 126mg | Sodium: 521mg | Potassium: 848mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 9g