Buckwheat Salad with Red Beet and Avocado Dressing
Buckwheat is a flavorful, gluten-free alternative to the more used grains or pseudo-grains such as pasta, quinoa, and brown rice. Combined with red beets and avocado dressing, you get one of my favorite healthy lunch or dinner salads.
For the salad
- 1/2 cup uncooked hulled buckwheat or quinoa
- 3/4 cup red beet (raw) grated or julienned
- 3/4 cup carrot grated or julienned
- 1/2 cup (Daikon) radish julienned or sliced
- 2 cups spinach shredded
For the dressing
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 lime/lemon juice only (use less if using lemon), or to taste
- 1 tbsp plain unsweetened yogurt (optional)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cook buckwheat according to the instructions on the package. This will normally take about 15 minutes.
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl or food processor. Mash/blend until smooth.
- When buckwheat is ready, allow to cool. Add other salad ingredients and mix well.
- Top with avocado sauce.
Take along tip: store shredded spinach on top.
- Interesting Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits of Buckwheat
- Discover the Health Benefits of Avocado and 5 Easy Recipes!
- What Is Clean Eating? 7 Simple Rules To Live A Healthy And Clean Lifestyle
Calories: 358kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 0.5mg | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 9g