Buckwheat Pizza with Red Beet, Spinach, and Chickpea
We love buckwheat pizza dough, but to speed things up buy a ready-made dough instead. Scroll down to the notes to get the recipe. If making your own start with that first and let rest for a few minutes while tomato sauce is cooking.
For the tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups tomato chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
For the pizza
- 1 cup spinach shredded
- 1 cup red beet (raw) sliced in thin circles, half or quarter slices if too big
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (½ cup dried = 1.5 cup cooked = 1 15 oz can drained
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 pizza dough for 2 small pizzas (or 1 big to share) scroll down to notes if making your own
- Preheat oven to 350F or 190C.
- In a pan or skillet, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Stir in the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes start to fall apart and form a sauce-like consistency. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Stir occasionally. Allow to cool slightly before adding to the pizza crust.
- Add sauce to the pizza crust, then the grated cheese and finish with chickpeas, red beet, and spinach.
- Cook for 20 minutes in the oven or until the toppings are cooked and the edge of the crust is golden.
- Optional: add a little bit of Parmesan shavings on top (optional).
Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 85g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0.1g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 1067mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 14g