Breaded Fish and Celery Carrot Gratin
Though a bit more work, this Breaded Fish and Celery Carrot Gratin makes a lovely, fishy Sunday dinner.
For the celery gratin
- 2 cup celery sliced
- 1 cup carrot finely chopped/sliced
- 1.5 cup potato small cubes
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- ground nutmeg to taste
- 1 cup water cooking water from the veggies
- 0.5 cup milk
- 1.5 tbsp unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 tbsp flour of your choice (GF if needed)
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko or breadcrumbs (GF if needed)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup spring onion (scallion)
For the fish
- 14 oz fish fillet of your choice
- 0.5-0.75 cup Panko or breadcrumbs (GF if needed)
- 1 lime or lemon zest only (use less if using lemon)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper medium lowto taste
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 lime or lemon juice only (use less if using lemon, ½ lime = 1 tbsp)
- Combine sliced celery, carrots, potatoes, salt, and water to cover in a skillet or pot. Cover and bring to a boil. When boiling, uncover and reduce to medium-low and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Meanwhile, prepare the fish. In shallow dish or pie pan, combine panko, lime zest, parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper; mix well. In another shallow dish, combine egg and lemon juice; beat well. First, add the fish fillet to the egg mixture. Make sure the fish is well coated. Then bread 2 sides of the fish with the panko mix. Set aside.
- When the veggies are soft, transfer to a bowl and keep the cooking water for the sauce.
- In the same skillet or pot melt butter. Then stir in flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gently add milk and cooking water; cook, stirring all of the ingredients together, until creamy. Add grated cheese and stir until melted. Season with salt, nutmeg, and pepper to taste. Transfer to an oven-safe dish.
- Mix panko, spring onions, and parsley; sprinkle over the celery mixture and broil in the oven until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat cooking oil over medium heat and cook breaded fish on both sides until golden.
- Serve with celery-carrot gratin.
Calories: 757kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 66g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 253mg | Sodium: 1206mg | Potassium: 1030mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 12g