Authentic Pizza Dough Recipe
Pizza dough is super easy to make but it takes some time to rise. This is by far the most authentic pizza dough recipe I have made from scratch. The use of bread flour instead of regular flour made it so much better.
Servings: 2 pizza
- 1/2 cup water warm (about 100-105°F or about 40°C)
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/honey
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cup (bread) flour for pizza dough
- sea salt
- Combine water, yeast and honey in a large bowl. Mix with a spoon and let sit until foamy. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Add half of the flour, a pinch of salt, and olive oil. Stir with a spoon until the dough comes together.
- Using your hands, knead the dough into a ball and work in the remaining flour. Knead on a floured surface.
- Rub the same bowl with a little olive oil and place the dough inside, turning to coat.
- Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Optional: you could use a stand mixer with dough hook to speed up the process.
- Makes 2 small pizzas or 1 big 14” (baking sheet big or 35 cm) pizza to share. Did you know that you can actually double, triple the amount of the dough and freeze for later.
- Instead of using bread flour, experiment with garbanzo bean flour, chickpea flour, spelt or other gluten-free alternatives. I like buckwheat flour to make pizza dough.