Buckwheat Salad with Red Beet and Avocado Dressing
Buckwheat is a flavorful, gluten-free alternative to the more used grains or pseudo-grains such as pasta, quinoa, and brown rice. Combined with red beets and avocado dressing, you get one of my favorite healthy lunch or dinner salads.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time40 mins
For the salad
- 1/2 cup uncooked hulled buckwheat or quinoa
- 3/4 cup red beet (raw) grated or julienned
- 3/4 cup carrot grated or julienned
- 1/2 cup (Daikon) radish julienned or sliced
- 2 cups spinach shredded
For the dressing
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 lime/lemon juice only (use less if using lemon), or to taste
- 1 tbsp plain unsweetened yogurt (optional)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Cook buckwheat according to the instructions on the package. This will normally take about 15 minutes.
Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl or food processor. Mash/blend until smooth.
When buckwheat is ready, allow to cool. Add other salad ingredients and mix well.
Top with avocado sauce.
Take along tip: store shredded spinach on top.
Calories: 358kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 0.5mg | Sodium: 297mg | Potassium: 668mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 9g