Marinated Carrot and Spiced Chickpea Salad
Easy to throw together, fragrant spices, bright colors, sweet and savory flavors - this Marinated Carrot and Spiced Chickpea Salad is a feast for all our senses.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time40 mins
For the carrots
- 1.5 cup carrot thinly sliced in circles with a mandoline
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
For the salad
- 2-3 cups fresh kale shredded
- 1.5 cup cooked or canned chickpeas (½ cup dried = 1.5 cup cooked = 1 15 oz can drained)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Mix all carrot salad ingredients in a small bowl. Marinate the carrots for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.
In a skillet or pan, heat cooking oil over medium heat. Fry cumin, coriander, oregano, paprika powder, and garlic powder for a few seconds or until fragrant. Stir/toss to make sure they don’t burn.
When fragrant add chickpeas and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through and nicely browned.
Add kale to a plate or bowl, top with spiced chickpeas and marinated carrots.
- Take-along tip: store salad greens and chickpeas on top.
- Many of us buy canned chickpeas because of the long soaking and cooking times. But did you know that you could soak and cook a big batch and freeze them for later use? Click here for more info (there's also a quick cooking method in there if you forgot to soak the chickpeas overnight)
Calories: 356kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 830mg | Potassium: 365mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 6g